Monday, March 19, 2007

A Conversation with a Spiritual Being

I just don’t know what to do with my life. Time to try something, anything, meditation? Why not? Nothing to lose.

Get comfortable, turn off interruptions, take a deep breath and exhale while making a low rumbling sound, focus on your breath.

“Ommmmmm……Ommmmm…...Ommmmm…”

“Hello?”

“Can we talk?”

“Any time. That is what I am here for.”

“I am confused, tell me what to do.”

“Hey, I just can’t do that. The deal is, you come up with the ideas and then we discuss them.”

“So you are leaving all the creative work to me?”

“I am not here to tell you what to do. If I did that you would, very quickly, feel oppressed. You have to do the work, use your initiative.”

“The problem is I do feel oppressed.”

“The old down in the dumps, everyone against you, no viable options?”

“Yes, you’ve got it.”

“That tells me you must have lost your initiative, because that’s what happens when you lose that thing.”

“ I just don’t know what to do. By the way, what should I call you?”

“Well, just give me a name, if you think I need one.”

“I can’t give you a name, you have to tell me what your name is.”

“Hey, you remember what I said about using your initiative?”

“Are you trying to confuse me, Devil?”

“You want me to be your Devil?”

“No, I really don’t want to go there, I just need some advice, and you don’t seem willing to give it.”

“Sounds like you are frustrated as well as oppressed. So let me make it quite clear. You come up with the ideas and then we discuss them. That is the only way it is going to work. If you don’t come up with the ideas: no discussion. No matter how hard you try, you cannot change that. The oppression you feel is a direct result of not coming up with ideas.”

“But other people seem to get along find doing what they are told. They say they are doing what you told them and seem quite happy taking your instructions.”

“Good for them, they are happy to be oppressed. They feel comfortable knowing that they are following a leader. But it won’t work for you. You are beyond that stage. You have learnt to question things and that puts you in a different ballpark ”

“Suppose I called you God?”

“If you are happy with that, it is cool with me.”

“Do you talk to them?”

“Sure.”

“What do you tell them?”

“I tell them exactly what they want to hear.”

“Why?”

“Let’s just say they can’t deal with anything else.”

“So why do you tell them lies?”

“I don’t, I simply enter their reality and live it with them. In that reality I am what they make me.”

“Are you doing the same thing with me?”

“Yes.”

“Why.”

“Same reason. I have to be whatever you make me.”

“So I can make you an all powerful God, or a Devil, or my conscience, or my rational thought process. I just “make it so,” and it happens?”

“I think you have finally got the message.”

“But I don’t like it like that.”

“Then change it.”

“But I don’t know what to change it to.”

“Welcome to leadership.”

“Let me think about this. Are you are telling me that I can choose to follow someone else’s ideas, and accept the oppression that comes with that, or I can choose my own path?”

“That’s about right.”

“What about the people who follow someone else’s path, but do not feel oppressed?”

“If they do not feel oppressed they have taken their right path. Many people never consciously make the choice, it simply never occurs to them to question what they are doing.”

“And I do not fall into that category?”

“You have eaten from the tree of knowledge and evicted yourself from the garden of blissful existence.”

“So I have to choose a path, not knowing what that choice will bring?”

“You got it.”

“That makes me feel oppressed. I can’t make a good decision without knowing the consequences.”

“I thought you would be elated. This is “freedom” man. You can do whatever you want. And by the way, you can make “best guess” decisions and then change them as you go along.”

“So I have to choose a path and take it and you will come with me like a parrot on my shoulder.”

“An intelligent parrot.”

“So what is the meaning of life?”

“Toss me some ideas and we can work on them.”

“Piss off parrot, you’re no use to me.”

No comments: